Sunday 27 November 2011

The X-files: Insect Invasion

I would like to publicly name and shame the little insects that, for so long, were destroying my strawberries.  They are evil little aphids!!  Firstly they destroyed my lettuce plants, and then moved onto my strawberries, living on the leaves and stalks of the plants.  For weeks my plants would produce the little white flowers, which were soon to become beautiful, red strawberries.  But before they were able to swell and grow, that part of the plant would die.  I was all sadness.

Luckily, sometimes tragedies in our lives can turn into blessings.  My decaying tulip, which had died before it reached the flowering stage, apparently became quite desirable to these little aphids and they all seemed to gather on this one plant.  So with an evil laugh I grabbed the can of aphid spray and sprayed them all! Mwahaha!  And I honestly haven't had any aphid trouble since.  Instead, I have been blessed with this:

Helloooooooo strawberry milkshakes! With fresh strawberries, mmmm tastes so good!!

Having said that, I discovered today that I need to make an additional note to myself: 

Always pick the strawberries as soon as they're ripe!  (I suspect fowl play). And thus, the circle of life continues...

No comments:

Post a Comment