Tuesday 22 November 2011

Horse Sense

Meet my new friend, Johnno.


Fine specimen, isn't he?  This is us right after we met...


After a brief introduction it was down to business, and I got on my high horse...


Couldn't show my face in the photo due to secret-spy-horse-training reasons.  That's all I'm allowed to say about that.  But needless to say, that's me on a horse.  I won't say when or where.

I will say that you can thank my lovely cousin for the awesome idea of trying out horse riding recently, on a beautiful sunny day.  For both of us, the last time we were on a horse was when we were much, much younger, and according to our conclusions we went together back then too.  With the number of years that had passed since then, this was pretty much like our first time on a horse. 

After some brief instructions on how to drive these things, we began our trek with the rest of the group.  About 5 or 10 minutes into the ride we got to a road which we had to cross.  Um, pretty scary moment in my life, especially when a truck just went past and then you're told it's time to cross the road on a horse you were just told how to control a short time earlier.  Sure, it wasn't a busy road, but still!  I survived though and continued on, enjoying the scenery and the fresh air and bonding with my noble steed.  Halfway in we tried a short moment of trotting.  This is when I concluded that they need to invent seat-belts for horses.  Having said that, it was pretty fun (aside from the ouch factor).  We also passed an emu farm where we discovered one of the horses is terrified of emus.  Interesting phobia!

Just before we get onto the beach I'm told that Johnno looooooves the water.  So much so, that he loves to roll in it any chance he gets.  I was instructed to keep him OUT of the water as much as possible, and if he looked like he was going down, get ready to jump!  Talk about adventure!!  Luckily, despite having a little splash, he did not decide to stop, drop and roll, and so I left the beach dry.  

That's when we took this great shot of Becky and her horse Patch, and me and Johnno (can you see Johnno trying to pull the reins away from me, yet again?? So cheeky!).


Well by the time we made it back at the end of the two hours, I could understand why in Old Western movies the cowboys always walked with a funny stance.  Pretty sure I was walking like that too.  Also pretty sure I wouldn't be sitting down for a while.  

Having said that it was pretty fun and a great experience, and I'd like to do more of the trotting next time, but after I've learnt the technique to do it without pain!  Actually what I'd really like is to go in a large open field and practise the acceleration, brakes and steering, just for fun ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment