Monday 14 November 2011

Black Holes and Infinite Truths.

Tonight while I was relaxing and channel surfing, I came across a programme on SBS called "Who's Afraid Of a Big Black Hole?"  Can I first say that my brain nearly exploded as I started watching this.  I mean firstly, gravity, they said, is the effect of space and time around an object (e.g. the earth) bending, and essentially pushing us onto earth.  How the heck does time bend?  What a weird concept.  I simply cannot comprehend time as anything other than purely linear and constant, and intangible.  Having said that, I believe in Eternity.  I believe in God, who is a Being without beginning or end.  I don't comprehend it, but I believe it.  So firstly I find it fascinating that scientists also say that time has other dimensions than what we initially comprehend.

But onto the real mind-blowing stuff - black holes.  Essentially, black holes are known for sucking time and space out of the universe.  They are kind of invisible, being purely black because they emit no light.  Einstein's theory of relativity predicted the existence of black holes, but his calculations led to a big problem in physics - infinity.  In fact some later related calculations they showed led to an infinite number of infinities.  "Impossible" in physics.  One scientist said that it pretty much breaks the laws of physics as they know them.  "It's like a nervous breakdown of physics.  Something is infinitely wrong...nature is smarter than we are."  Nature, or is it really God? I vote the latter, and yes He definitely is smarter than we are! So, SO much smarter.

Near the end they asked all these scientists who had been studying, researching, making break-throughs in the understanding of black holes, one simple question.  "Have you ever seen a black hole?"  What do you think they all said? It was a universal "no."  So, the concept of believing entirely in something that you cannot see is not so bizarre after all.  And so why should a belief in God be so strange?  Newsflash: it's not.    These scientists cannot see black holes, but they can observe their effect on their surroundings.  I cannot see God, but I have seen His effects in the world around me - in my life.  I know He is real.

No comments:

Post a Comment