Saturday 17 August 2013

Game On

I had a very entertaining game of Hide And Seek with a praying mantis today!  First time I've seen a praying mantis, so I was pretty excited.  I recognised it by its front legs and triangular head.  When I first saw it low on a wooden pole I thought it was a little green shoot coming out of a tree trunk, until I noticed how insect-shaped it was and stopped to take a look.  I took out my trusty little Lumix and took this digital photo:


I wanted to take a better photo, so I stepped a little closer and that's when it noticed me and did some pretty sweet (and quick!) side-stepping around to the other side of the pole.  So I walked around to the other side, but...he was gone!  I walked back to where I first was, but still no sign of him!  Well he must be somewhere, I decided, and went around to look again.  This time as I got around I noticed some legs disappear around the side.  Aha!  So I moved around further, slowly this time, and saw a head poking out from the side of the pole.  The mantis cocked his head a little then spotted me, and we held eye-contact for a split second before his head popped out of sight, like something from a cartoon!  Then I knew the game was on. 

It got harder after that, as he's pretty quick with those side steps, swinging effortlessly around the trunk.  I kept walking around the truck back and forth, trying to catch him, and I'm pretty sure the other people at the park thought I was a little weird.  But I didn't care, I was having too much fun.  After a few unsuccessful attempts, I finally stepped back and looked up - and there he was, very high up above me, doing his careful back-and-forth walk in an attempt to fool any more potential predators.  And thus ended our game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment