Friday 24 February 2012

Mu isamaa, mu õnn ja rõõm

Today is Estonian Independence Day!  When I worked at Centrelink International it was nice and convenient, because the International Wall of Friendship was right outside my work, so for Independence Day I used to dress up in national costume in my morning break and go down to the flag raising ceremony where we also sang the national anthem, "Mu isamaa, mu õnn ja rõõm" (I don't have it memorised though - shame on me!).  Just my little way of showing my national pride.  I was pretty excited to apply for and receive an Estonian passport a few years ago, so I am officially a dual citizen of Australia and Estonia.  

My mother took my brother and I to Estonia for 3 months when I was 6 years old, and in 2009 I decided to go back on my own.  It was great as I was able to once again attend the 4-yearly song and dance festivals, "Laulupidu" and "Tantsupidu."  The Laulupidu in particular is very important to the history of Estonia in keeping their national identity alive and even in achieving independence.  If you want more information ask my mum and she will gladly make-- er, let you watch her "Singing Revolution" DVD.


 (You're looking at a combined choir of over 30,000 people!)


As well as seeing the song and dance festivals, I was able to visit some old family sites as well, such as the farmhouse where my grandmother, Selma Falkenberg, was raised.  This was also a very special experience for me.



I would love to go back again and explore the country even more.  It was an awesome experience!  Thanks to my cousin, Jana, for being my guide, interpreter and friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment