Saturday 4 February 2012

Book Club - The Screwtape Letters

It's been a few months since I read this one, so I'll try to remember as best as I can.  My first impression about this book is about the way it was written.  I understood that it was composed of letters between the devil Screwtape and his newbie nephew, but I didn't realise that the book consisted of only Screwtape's letters, and not the replies.  Hence the title, I guess!  You can kind of guess some of the things that Wormwood would have written in his letters by the way that Screwtape replies, so I don't feel the book lacks anything at all by being written in this style.  In fact, it helps keep the reader focussed on the important part - Screwtape's advice.

It takes a bit of concentration to keep on track, I mean you need to apply to law of opposites.  The "enemy" is in fact the good guy, God, and "Our Father" who is spoken so highly of by Screwtape, is in fact Satan, the devil.  Once you keep on track with this though, it is a very interesting read.  It points out the subtle ways in which we are tempted to turn away from God - perhaps, ever so slightly - which we don't usually stop to think about.  It's a real eye-opener to the Christian reader who's trying to follow the Saviour and really wants to improve.  Just read this book and you'll have plenty ideas of what you could do better!  Having said that, it shows the capacity for repentance as well, so it's not too depressing.

I like way the ending turns out, the way it should turn out in good versus evil.  It was also interesting to read a bit about how C. S. Lewis felt about writing the book.  He actually states that he did not really enjoy writing it, due to having to live and work in the mindset of Screwtape, someone completely opposed to God and all things good, who instead wants to tear us down.  Certainly not an uplifting feeling!  But I'm glad he did because it was a great read.

What are your thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this book; it SO constantly rings true that I feel like Quasimodo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to read this book again. The first time I read it I could only consume a chapter at a time. The implications that where proposed where so sophisticated-ly simple I just could not take it in all at once

    ReplyDelete
  3. I pretty much read it a chapter at a time as well. I think it's a good way to read it - time passes between what you have read, as time would have passed between letters (chapters) so it adds to the effect!

    ReplyDelete