Tuesday 28 February 2012

Book Club - Mansfield Park



I had heard this title mentioned many times, but had never read it, perhaps because the title is just the name of a place and didn't really incite me to read it.  But being in the library one day  I noticed a book of "the complete collection of Jane Austen" or something to that effect, and seeing as I'd never read Mansfield Park, I decided to give it a go. 


It is now, quite possibly, my favourite Jane Austen novel ever! Or at least a very close tie with the classic Pride & Prejudice.  It is a very long read, but what a great read!   

The book centres around the main character of Fanny Price, who is taken from her very poor family in Portsmouth to live with her wealthy aunt, Lady Bertram, and her family at Mansfield Park instead.  Miss Price is incredibly shy and finds it difficult to fit in with her upper class cousins.  She also misses her brother, William, terribly.  Her cousin Edmund takes compassion on her and makes sure she has ample supplies to be able to write regularly to her brother.  Throughout the years Edmund takes special care of Miss Price and they maintain a close friendship. 

Fast forward a few years.  Miss Price is now 18, and has developed into a well mannered young lady, while her older cousins, Tom, Maria and Julia Bertram are out in society and living it up.  Add a few new characters - Mr Rushworth who soon becomes engaged to Maria Bertram, though mainly for his money and status, and brother and sister, Mr Henry Crawford and Miss Mary Crawford, who stay with their sister at the nearby parsonage -  and things start to get interesting.  There soon follows a series of love triangles, as well as deeper insight into the true desires of Miss Price's heart, which even to the reader she is too afraid to openly admit.

The subsequent adventures include a proposal, followed by a lengthy courtship, but Fanny cannot bring herself to go against her heart and her better judgment.  She is returned by her uncle, Sir Thomas, to Portsmouth to live with her family again for a time in the hope of showing her what she could be returning to if she refuses this proposal.  But even this difficult time won't persuade her - although she does begin to consider it's benefits.  Eventually the truth comes out and her decision is proven to be a good one and she is able to return to Mansfield Park.

I think I love this book because I feel I can relate a little to Fanny Price - I was rather shy growing up (hard to believe, I know), or at least quiet at most times.  I was also the youngest of my sibling and cousins.  I can't really compare myself to the goodness of Miss Price, she has principles and standards which she lives by so well, but that is something that I do admire in her.  And it was this goodness that caused others to fall in love with her, even if it was not goodness they were looking for at first.  I would hope that someone would love me primarily for my goodness one day.

After reading Mansfield Park, my favourite Jane Austen hero now would have to be Edmund Bertram - what a guy!  Aside from being rather blind in matters of love, he is a man of good principle and treats Fanny with such tenderness and kindness.  A real sensitive guy.  Not afraid of admitting when he's wrong, and saying sorry.  Aside from a few follies that come with youth and infatuation, there's really nothing bad to say about this guy!

I have to say, although I loved reading this book, the ending was a little bit of a let down!  It is quite a long book, and the whole way builds up to something great, and you hope and wait for Fanny's deepest desires to be realised and for her to be told by the man she loves that he indeed is in love with her.  But alas, Jane Austen, after all that building up, simply states as narrator what inevitably happens and book comes to a bit of an abrupt end!  I really think for the readers she should have treated us by using his direct words.

What are your thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. You've inspired me to read the book, I've seen numerous movie adaptations but never read it. Great idea blogging a book review :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

      I've seen one movie adaption since reading the book, which I enjoyed, but I do feel they portrayed her character quite differently to how I understood it from reading the book.

      Delete