Thursday 5 January 2012

YSA, The Beach and Perfect Cricket


Some weeks ago I had a couple of light-bulb moments.  Firstly, I’ve discovered I  love the beach.  Not swimming at the beach.  Just being at the beach.  Secondly, I love the YSA (Young Single Adult) program of the church.  It was Saturday, 12th November, and as part of the YSA Overnighter, we had an activity at 7 Mile Beach in the morning. 

Although the turn-out was somewhat small, I had a great time.  Not because I did anything amazing there.  Basically I went and stood in the water with Erin where we buried our feet in the wet sand while we talked and stood there feeling that cool beach breeze.  After a while we decided to throw a ball around, but this was quite a new experience for me because it was a rugby ball, and I realized – I had no idea how to throw that thing!  I’m used to netball, basketball, tennis, cricket…all ROUND balls.  Pretty simple.  But this thing did not have the same aerodynamics! So I had Erin give me a lesson or two.  Turns out I’ve been missing my life’s calling!  I should have been playing rugby my whole life haha.  Well it was fun anyway.  We tried doing some “legendary” catches with a bit of success (and probably more not-success). 



Next everyone came together for a game of cricket.  Now perhaps I should mention that most people there I probably wouldn’t call my “besties”, yet coming together for this game of cricket I felt we were united as friends.  That is the beauty of the YSA program.  Yes, we may be very different and have varying tastes and backgrounds and recreational preferences.  We may not have picked each other out of a crowd to be our friends.  Yet if we choose to have an inviting and welcoming attitude towards each other, we can be united and have a LOT of fun together!  Being able to have fun with a group of people just because we’re all in YSA is a great thing, I think. 

As I left around midday for my next adventure for the day (where I met Johnno), I realized that it had been one of the best Saturday mornings I’d had in a long time.  And that’s when it all clicked.

No comments:

Post a Comment