Sunday 15 January 2012

Waiting vs Creating

I had an epiphany about life this week.  I call it “waiting vs creating.”  I realised I do a lot of waiting in life, especially for entertainment or mental stimulation.  What do I mean?  Well another good word could be “checking.”  Check facebook.  Check my emal.   Check my blog.    Check the ABC news website at work between calls.  Check it again in case there’s something new as I’m already bored again. 

But the other day I decided to try something new at work.  A few days earlier I had decided I wanted to write a song with some thoughts and advice to a friend.  So at work I started writing the lyrics between answering calls.  And you know what?  It was awesome!  Not just my song (but really, the lyrics are pretty awesome), but my mind felt renewed, refreshed, entertained and invigorated.

SO with my spare time at home, instead of waiting until dinner or until it's time to go out to whatever event, I could perhaps edit some photography.  Paint a picture.  Learn a song on guitar.  Do a charcoal drawing.  Do some sewing.  Write a letter to someone serving a mission, or to my visiting teaching sisters.  Write some poetry or a song.  Do some more of my cross-stitch.  Plan my future and set some new goals.  Look up a new recipe.  Call a friend.  Things to do with creating something that is not already there.  Things I really want to do “when I have time.” 

So I’m now trying to limit the amount of “checking” or “waiting” when I could do something else.  Something creative.  Something new.

On the subject of creating, here’s a clip I love based on the words of Elder Dieter F. Uchdorf of the quorum of the twelve apostles.  Hope you enjoy and think of ways that you can create.


No comments:

Post a Comment