Sunday 17 March 2013

Create A Meme? Challenge Accepted.

An Internet meme (pron.: /ˈmm/ meem) is a concept that spreads from person to person via the Internet.

I recently started to enjoy the current meme culture on social media.  You know, pictures which resurface again and again with various funny captions.  Someone I know even got "memed" by his friends, using one of his photos as a joke.  And it was about then that I thought, "Heeeeeey, maybe I can make a meme!"

And so my project began.  I'll admit, the juices didn't flow immediately.  But I was determined I would create a meme, and it would go down in history!  

I downloaded a free meme app on my iPod touch, called "MemeCreator", and looked through the various photos and their usage style.  Eventually, I decided to go with the "Grumpy Cat" one, as that would probably be the easiest.  So for a few days I thought and I thought and finally...I got it!  The light-bulb moment.  

And thus, my first meme was born:


Okay, a little mean.  But hey!  It's grumpy cat!  He's always mean.

Well, I got such a buzz from creating my first meme, I decided to make another, and soon found myself on a roll.  One of my favourite memes is a "Condescending Willy Wonka" saying "Oh, you wear a Northface jacket?  You must go on so many adventures."  Not sure why, but I find it really funny!  You know, people who buy that expensive pro-bushwalker jacket, just to wear around town.  Touché, Willy Wonka!  

So here's my own Willy Wonka meme:


Yeah, I know.  Mean again!  So I decided to try something more neutral, and went with Philosoraptor:


Discovering this new medium for creativity has been really fun, and I will probably make some more in the future.  There's many great templates to choose from, such as "Success Kid", "Koala Can't Believe It", "First World Problems", or "One Does Not Simply".  

(These examples are from the internet and not me...but I like them!)






Now I'm excited to pin my memes to Pinterest and see if they go viral ;)

Oh, and in trying to find a good example of "Challenge Accepted" I ended up coming up with my own just now:


2 comments: