Thursday 2 January 2014

Snake Dreams


Okay, here's something really weird...

Last night I dreamt about snakes.  Lots and lots of snakes.  They were kind of ever-present no matter what was happening in the dream - or in other words, no matter where I went, or what other themes took over for a while, it would always end up back at the grassy beach with the snakes.

Upon waking, I thought it would be fun to look up what dream analysts have to say about snakes, even though I'm not usually very convinced by their theories.

It was after this that two weird things happened.

First, I opened up Google and started typing "dreaming..." I hadn't even finished when the autocomplete suggestions popped up, and the very first one said "dreaming of snakes".  Um...yes! Do people not dream about anything else?  Freaky!  

So I click on that and open the first page that grabs my eye.  And then one of the first things I read says: "Snakes or serpents indicate you’re in a period of transition."

Um...yes!  If you consider "transition" to include preparing to move countries, then immediately move to a new, big city to study at University again 9 years after graduating and 7 years in the workforce, that is.

Freeeeaky.  

There are many more interpretations available, but that was one of the first that I read.  Two strange coincidences.

Not that I'm particularly adverse to snakes (as my brother can attest, with a rather amusing story from our school days).  In the dream I wasn't seized with fear, or screaming or running away.  I was cautious, but still went about my business.  Actually near the start, when I first saw all the snakes, someone was helping me try to get rid of them and showed me that when she put a box down a snake crawled up into it and then coiled up and bound itself into a neat little bundle.  So I tried it, and sure enough, another snake did the same thing.  Perhaps that means some things in my transition will just "fall into place"?  I think it was after seeing the snakes cooperate that I stopped worrying so much about there being snakes everywhere, and just decided to leave them as is.   


Anyway, there you have it.  That should fill your weirdness quota for today!

Me and my olive python friend in Darwin

No comments:

Post a Comment