Monday 22 July 2013

The Haircut Update

As you may remember, I recently publicly declared that I would be taking the plunge and getting my hair cut soon here in Japan, for the first time.  The main reason for the haircut was because my fringe done in Australia this year had already grown out and I felt my hair looked a bit drab with these random outgrown layers.  I thought it could do with a healthy trim too.

My first attempt at this was unsuccessful due to the chosen hairdresser being closed when I showed up (oops).  I was planning to reattempt soon.  However, just a few days later a huge heat wave struck (aka the true summer).  At 35 degrees with high humidity, I suddenly remembered just how much one sweats during the Tokyo summer.  Many Japanese people actually carry around towels, for the express purpose of wiping the sweat off their face and body.  I soon realised that even if I did get a lovely fringe cut, it would just end up stuck to my forehead in random sweat-induced patterns, resulting in me looking like some kind of drowned rat (The Japanese don't seem to have this problem, due to their robust, thick hair holding it's shape much better in these conditions.  I have very thin hair and am not so lucky).

As I have since realised that for the next couple of months I am better off sporting a variety of up-dos to keep the hair off my face and neck (much easier to do without a fringe or layers), the haircut has been postponed until AFTER summer.   

And so instead I am having fun researching new hair ideas (for example, see below) and the sweat is annoying me much less than it did last summer.  Of course, the beautiful cooler weather we've had lately has certainly helped that too! :)

So, ladies and gentlemen, that is The Update.


No comments:

Post a Comment