Tuesday 23 October 2012

Book Club - Jane Eyre

I have heard the name "Jane Eyre" so many times, but had never read the book.  In fact, I really knew nothing about the story, except it was about a woman called Jane Eyre.  A couple of months ago I decided it was time to find out for myself.

I must say I was pleasantly surprised.  As much as Charlotte Bronte probably tires of being compared to her sister, Emily,  I'll admit I was perhaps expecting another Wuthering Heights.  But this book was far from it.  

Having said that, there were a few things which would have been handy to know before I commenced reading the book.  Firstly, I was a bit shocked at the very beginning at being confronted by the emotional and somewhat physical abuse of a child.  I have to say, it was rather horrible!  But after getting past those initial chapters, things ease up a little.  

I also realised that a comprehensive study of the French language would have been a handy prerequisite to this book.  There is a character who comes from France and actually speaks in French quite a lot, which Bronte soon ceases to translate.  Basically I have no idea what she said in most of the book.  But all I could really do was trust that what she said could not have been too consequential to the storyline, as that would otherwise be a little unfair!  I will probably never know.  

Those two things aside though, I thoroughly enjoyed the book, which does have a few twists and turns in it.  Jane Eyre is indeed a woman who shows great strength and moral integrity through considerable trials and difficulties.  She strongly values the marriage institution (anyone seeing a contrast to Wuthering Heights yet?) and refuses to give in to related temptations.

Funnily, this probably isn't one of those books where you will fall in love with the male lead character - at least I didn't!  I kind of wondered what she really saw in him a lot of the time, but hey - the book is about Jane and not me, and it was always clear that she had deep feelings of affection for him.

While there is a love-story in this book (but much more than just that), it was not entirely predictable.  It was interesting to contemplate after, how if things had gone "smoothly" without the suffering and trials of endurance in the middle, they would not have ended up as happy and as well suited as they did.  It suggests that sometimes (or often) the hard way is actually the best way.  When we take the easy road we sometimes compromise things of greater importance.

Jane Eyre was a great book to read, because it was much more than just a love-story and  presents so much for contemplation.  It shows growth and strength of character, and I also like it because Jane holds to moral standards, but also stays true to her heart's desire.  It demonstrates that having standards does not mean having to compromise true love.  You can indeed have both.

No comments:

Post a Comment