Thursday 16 August 2012

Random Thought of the Day - Procrastination


You know, it's really interesting the variety of things we do in order to procrastinate.  There is no one way of doing it, and it usually involves far more than just sitting or lying and doing nothing.  In fact, I can become highly productive when I am procrastinating.  It's sometimes motivation to clean my whole house!  Or send that important email I've been meaning to.  Or exercise my brain to write a somewhat intellectual Book Club blog post (as I was doing just now).  They are usually pretty useful or interesting things that I do when I procrastinate.  The problem, however, lies in the fact that there's something else more urgent that I should be doing first.  Like now...

The variety and creativity of the things I do when procrastinating got me thinking.  Maybe I could write a book about procrastination?  So basically, I would end up procrastinating that task for several months, then list all the things I did instead of sitting down and writing it.  The book would practically write itself!

What are some interesting or unusual things you have done as a form of procrastination?

4 comments:

  1. I should have been studying for an exam. Instead, after I had finished the spring-cleaning, I observed with fascination the antics of a blue-tongue lizard in the back yard. He was eating dandelions. The best bit was when he ate a bee along with a dandelion ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See! Perfectly worthwhile things! I love observing the wonders of nature hehe. Thanks Rasa :)

      Delete
  2. When it was time to write up my thesis I would come home every day and instead of editing I would sit on the couch and draw a picture from some of my favourite manga. It was vitally important at the time. Somewhere in between all the procrastination I did manage to write up and submit. Not before covering the kitchen door in drawings though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, what was your thesis on?

      Hahaha did you have some kind of internal dialogue going on at the time? Like "You know you should be writing your thesis right now, right?" "Uhuh." "But you're not..." "Nope!" "Isn't that bad?" etc etc? lol. I sometimes do...but then again I'm kinda weird ;)

      Delete