Thursday 19 June 2014

The Response

The response from my readers on here and on Facebook of my last post was an overwhelming 'yes' and so, I have written and sealed up that sucker ready to be posted.  


Do I expect a response?  Not at all.  Except perhaps a few giggles from the mail-workers.  I might even make their Wall of Fame, if I'm lucky.  But I doubt if my letter will even make it to management.


Did it feel good to write and send that?  Oh, yes.  I know such advertising is that pest that will never go away, and yet I do believe in consumer voice - and that it only takes a few voices for the big guys to make some changes.  I hope they will think twice before pulling that one again.  Especially since they're clearly a bunch of money-hungry vultures, to suggest that getting a credit card is a feasible way to keep impulsive spending under control - someone needs to put them in their place.  Yes, some people do feel a credit card is necessary, but they could at least market it with realistic reasons.

But at the end of the day, even if no one of import ever reads my reply, I still believe it's important to take a stand sometimes. 

We are entitled to an opinion, and we do not have to be silent.


7 comments:

  1. Like you I also have enough savings to warrant never getting a credit card, yet I have one, especially with so much spending online it makes life a lot easier. You claim to be able to manage your finances responsibly yet you don't seem to think you could pay off a monthly credit card bill and avoid any interest, may want to think about how responsible you really are.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I have a debit card - it does exactly the same as a credit card, except it takes the money straight out of my account. Presto! No debt.

      I'm not having a dig at people who choose to have credit cards, that's fine. I'm just saying that the reason NAB want me to have a credit card it for the interest, and they 'responsible' card they tried to play is a little ironic because I'm managing to be perfectly responsible without one, and see no financial benefit to getting one.

      How would me getting a credit card make me more responsible than now?

      Delete
  2. Dare I counter with how would it make you less responsible than now? You accuse NAB of implying you are irresponsible, nonsensical and of little intelligence for not having a credit card and you are doing the exact opposite, and going to the other extreme, implying that those that have a credit card must be irresponsible, nonsensical and of little intelligence. I will give you that the majority of people that have credits cards probably shouldn't have them but not everyone is as fortunate as we are to have savings and are required to live with debt to be able to get by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My main beef with them is that they said it in my name. If the letter had been from the "Sensible Fairy" or something generic, I probably would have gone "ok whatever" and chucked it out. But because they said this was from "Mari-Anna's sensible side", when clearly I don't consider me getting a credit card to be sensible, that is what annoyed me.

      Actually, I accuse NAB of implying I was unintelligent for possibly believing that creating the option for me to get into debt very easily (with high interest), rather than living within my means, is somehow more sensible.

      I'm not here to judge other people's reasons for having a credit card. If you feel comfortable and confident about having a credit card and using it responsibly, then my opinion shouldn't really matter to you anyway :) Good for you!

      Delete
    2. I do feel comfortable and confident in having a credit card, thank you.

      I couldn't care less about your opinion, you're welcome to have it, you seem to be upset that a big company doesn't know you personally and offered you something they thought may be of use to you. I just hope a shop that you don't shop at doesn't give you a catalogue, I can only image how mad you would be if they advertised something to you which you can't afford or don't want, the audacity of companies not knowing what you want, we can only pray that one day they will change.

      Delete
    3. You seem upset that I express my opinion on my blog ;) Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
    4. The pleasure was all mine :D

      Delete