Thursday 17 October 2013

Standby Me

First, here's some theme music to listen to whilst you read this post:


This morning I had yet another morning standby stint for work.  


Last time, through a bit of positive (and realistic) thinking, I made a small break-through in coping with this experience, basically lessening the anxiety aspect.  My goals this time were:
*  No complaining;  and
*  Just accept and prepare for the fact I will be sent out.


I'm happy to say I achieved my goal!  I had told myself I would be sent out, in fact I would be sent out first (as usual), and it would be an elementary school with 5-6 classes.  With this in mind, I had reviewed and studied elementary school lesson plans and consolidation activities, as I still run out of ideas quickly when put on the spot.  And I thus told myself it would be okay.


But actually.......*drumroll please*.........







I got sent out THIRD!  AND I lasted in the office until 8am!  That's the longest I've survived the sudden-death game that is Morning Standby.   I couldn't believe it.  Seems my luck may finally be changing!

The second bit of good news is I got sent to a Junior High School!  Yay!  I think the morning standby staff are trying to be a little merciful to me in the fact that if they know they have a JHS assignment they'll give it to me first, as that's my area of expertise (technically I was sent out third, but it seems they received all 3 assignments at the same time).  I was pretty happy with that!

So I was given all the lesson plan papers, and the maps and the train directions (4 trains to get to my assignment).  I was told the first period lesson would have to cut as I wouldn't be able to be there in time, and that the teacher at the school was apparently a bit upset or angry about that.  (Apparently no one had informed them the teleportation machine has not  yet been invented.)

When I got to the school though, I found no angry people, which was great.  I taught 3 lessons during the day, and with a combination of Interac's lesson plans, preparation time during the remainder of 1st period, and collaboration with the Japanese teachers, they all went pretty smoothly.  The two teachers I worked with were very nice and helpful.  The class sizes were quite small (especially compared to the usual classes of 38ish students at my schools).  And the students were, as usual, funny and easy to work with.  Japanese teenagers?  I got it down.  Like a boss.  Many were excited to talk to me, even outside of class (including a couple of girls very excited to hear I knew of Justin Bieber). 

The students had fun asking me questions after my self-introductions, including one 9th grade boy who asked (with the help of the teacher, funnily) "Can I be your boyfriend?"  I told him sorry, I'm 29 and I need an older guy!  He was a little disappointed.  "Just one day?"  Nope, I don't do 'one day' - sorry!  "One minute?" Nope!  It was funny.

Overall it was a relatively stress-free and pleasant experience.  The only unpleasant part, really, was when I got a toe-cramp mid lesson!  Ouchies!  Luckily I was facing the blackboard at the time, but my poor train drawing that was  in progress was consequently ruined due to my being in such pain!  Realising I had to hand out the worksheets next I tried not to show it in my face as I hobbled around, and thankfully it was short-lived!

And so, I have thus survived once again, and even progressed in my quest to overcome the bane of my existence as an ALT in Japan.  

No comments:

Post a Comment