Sunday 4 November 2012

If I only had an oven...


They say you don't know what you've got until it's gone.  Well, they are absolutely right.  

Last year I had an oven in my apartment (and also the last 10 years or so at home).  I can probably count the number of times I used it that year on one hand.  Maybe two.  And yet, here in Tokyo I find myself in a teeny-tiny apartment with a "kitchenette" and no oven. 

Oh, the things I could do if I had an oven!  I could make a pavlova, or ANZAC biscuits.  I could cook roast potatoes and pumpkin with gravy.  I could try that recipe I found on Pinterest for homemade muesli bars.  I could bake cakes, muffins or banana bread.  I could make apple crumble!  Oh the humanity!

I'm not pretending that I used to do all those things when I actually had an oven.  

But let's just say I'm looking forward to the day when I, once again, have an oven in my life.  Because I now know what life is like without one.  

Cue the violins.

7 comments:

  1. Many of the new RVs (and ours was no exception) do not have ovens. They rely on the convection oven setting in the microwave, that doesn't always work out so well so the first thing we did was to add the portable "Toaster Oven". This has worked out great for the two of us. Even when we traveled with our teen age and 5 year old granddaughters we had no need to cook a fullsize turkey. There are many on the market,st reasondble cost. I perfer the didgital kind because the ones that use knobs require you to select each setting and you can sometimes turn too far and not know it untill you smell something burning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bro & Sis Sommerville

    ReplyDelete
  3. I make this complaint on a regular basis! I've been giving out about my lack of oven for quite some time now and I miss making lasagnas, casseroles, cookies, cakes, baked veggies and sweet potatoes *sigh*. I too look forward to the day when I am in possession of an oven again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel your pain, Maz! I didn't have a proper oven in my flat at mum and dad's place until I ended up buying a little bench oven. Best investment ever. Until it got too small for what I wanted! Hang in there, though! You'll be able to neglect a regular, full sized oven soon enough like the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha thanks, and I probably will neglect it once I have one ;)

      Delete
  5. I know exactly what you mean! I was only there for 5 weeks...but noticed the lack of heaps of foods I would have loved. You could get one of those little oven things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could, but I've already bought so many other things that I'll just be getting rid of in 6 months...

      Delete